Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: When it rains....

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Local buddy of mine surprised me end of last week. I sent him an invite to my Sun. 0.75 watt party, and he instead offered me a pair of 203B's and 291-16B's!!!

    Pulled out of NCSU somewhere, he had been hanging on to them for a future system, but needed to liquidate....I've known this fellow for almost 30 years, and sometimes he still surprises me. Always had good taste though, especially in whiskey and women...

    indexphp?actAttach&amptypepost&ampid48649

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the 203B's....

    indexphp?actAttach&amptypepost&ampid48650

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 05, 2008 11:19 PM: Message edited by: analog addict ]</font>

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    When it rains....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Drool...

    You are aware with a diaphragm change they become 288-G's? Apparently there is a 16C that is Tangerine- I only have seen one pair...

    As 288G's that's a $1200 or so pair of drivers..you have a friend indeed.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Shame on you Allan! forums

    You didn't tell me they were late model tangerine 291's! forums

    2uF is too small a cap for those, it's rolling them off way up in tweeter land.

    Without looking at a calculator i think you want a value somewhere in the 20-28uF range.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    When it rains....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bowtie427ss:
    Shame on you Allan! forums

    You didn't tell me they were late model tangerine 291's! forums

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">didn't think the B is tangerine, but late ones might be...I was saying the "C" is Tangerine...the 291-16B is same assembly as 288-G. I believe the "C" is same as 288-H both Tangerine...

    For some odd reason, the "G" model is often sought, though the "H" theoretically should have better highs...at that point I think it's along the lines of choosing between different model Ferraris...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Whoops!

    Thank you OG, as usual i must bow to your wisdom. forums

    I made that dangerous assumption that a new style cover probably was accompanied by a tangerine, great example of why we should never "assume" anything with these old gems.

    Indeed the data sheet for the 291-16B indicates a 3 slot machined phase plug as per the engineer's description.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    When it rains....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have a can to look at- but I get this stuff called Panther from the local machine shop guys...lovingly referred to as Panther P-ss.

    Smells most foul, it does, but very effective.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    analog addict: I bet you can take the driver with the broken stud to a machine shop, and they can remove that stud. Since it is just a plain old ordinary stud, and not a hardened one, it should be easy.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will try and get the broken stud pulled before shipping to GPA for 'phragm change and rehab. Anyone know how they are connected? All I have is two empty hole at the bottom of the back plate of the drivers.

    Lastly, here's how I spent my afternoon....

    indexphp?actAttach&amptypepost&ampid48681

    indexphp?actAttach&amptypepost&ampid48682


    Buddy of mine brought those 71A based monoblocks by, all of 0.75 watts. Absolutely amazing.... forums ... forums

    I also compared the 203B's versus the 1005B's, and tell you what, they both sound fabulous. In fact, I'll have to do some more listening, but the 203B's may actually slightly edge out the 1005B's. I switched the 288B drivers back and forth, and at one point I was running one each of the two types of horns...

    Wish the weather was nicer, but the music left nothing to be desired.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    analog addict: nice pics.

    Has the misses approved of you bring them "things" into the house? I would be in the dog-house by nightfall if I brought them into my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.